Personalisation: What is it and why does it matter for app growth?
Search
  • Admin

Personalisation: What is it and why does it matter for app growth?

Personalisation is something incredibly important but often overlooked when it comes to app growth. We get the feeling that the importance is understood but the ability to implement it is lacking in a lot of app businesses both big and small.


It's really not rocket science, but you should probably have a good head on your shoulders to wrap around the concept and the volume of data you will handle in order to build a personalisation campaign.


First of all, a kick-ass data strategy paired with a tracking and analytics platform is key for app growth. You need a place where you can house data that does a lot of the heavy lifting for you to begin with such as audience profiling and visualisation for trend analysis, etc. Without this, your personalisation ads are going to be way more difficult and the reason for this is you need an identifier better than email in order to have accurate retargeting campaigns on platforms such as Facebook.


The identifier that is far more superior is a device ID or IDFA (identifier for advertisers). This is unique to each person's phone and, while it can be limited in the tracking capability by the user, it is largely unchangeable per device. This, therefore, enables a much more granular approach to target specific cohorts of people in your app.


Anyway, if you think about it no one person is the same and so going out in a blanket style to a crowd of people, you won't resonate with everyone in a significant way. You may be super relevant to 30% of them but the remaining 70% would be left feeling undervalued or confused or even irritated by your message. So what if you could segment your crowd or user base into groups of people to deliver highly specific messaging to help them down your funnel? Well, that's where the magic happens...


Personalisation is exactly that, specified, highly relevant ways of reaching your app user base entirely formed through data to provide growth.


Now 1-to-1 personalisation is difficult and can often be ineffective with a smaller volume of user data. But there is still a lot of merit in 1-to-many personalisation when the 'many' is tens or even hundreds of people fulfilling the same actions or at the same funnel stage as one another.


By placing your audience into cohorts defined by behaviour-specific app actions you then have the power to see and understand who those people are down to very granular detail; where they are from, the number of actions they took over a period of time, how long it took them to complete a significant action in the app, and so on.


This is all derived from a comprehensive data strategy enabling you to see absolutely everything your users do day in, day out. No matter how creepy it might be, this is the stuff successfully businesses are made of!



This is all well and good but as businesses and teams begin to grow they tend to be gravitated to work in silos and not work in a unified way. It's natural and normal but it doesn't have to be that way entirely. Founding a process that enables all areas of the business to see the same data and slice it in their own ways, whilst collaborating with each other, provides monumental advantages to business growth.


That being said, unifying a team doesn't directly affect your ability to run personalisation campaigns but if different factions of your business are aligned in the application to it, it makes it one hell of a lot easier.



Envision Digital works hard to implement the right data strategies for clients before advertising even starts. This ensures that the whole environment between stakeholders, investors, developers, and marketers are signing from the same hymn sheet.


If you would like to learn more we are Mixpanel certified partners and have more information on this here.

0 views

Tel: 07791154761

Email: josh@envisiondigital.media

©2019 by Envision Digital.